Archive of previous posts

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Huge Confederate Flag Flies over I-75



If any of you have driven to tampa or north on I-75 lately, chances are some of you may have seen this GIANT Confederate flag flying overhead. It touts the title of the World's "Largest Confederate Flag." It is at the sight of a Confederate Veteren's Memorial. There is a lot of controversy over this flag. The families of the Confederate Veteran's say that the flag honors their fallen ancestors. Opposing groups and Civil Rights activists cry out against the flag, saying that it is insensitive and a sign of racism and white power. Below are two links to articles on the topic.
What do you think?

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0804/p03s02-ussc.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4978568&page=1

3 comments:

  1. As I have been going to school in Sarasota, I often visit my mother who lives in Orlando so I drive past this flag quite often. I will say now I am quite jaded by it, but I still tell everyone about it when I describe FL to my friends and family in WA. To me FL is a lot like for states of the south and is full of people still stuck in their old ways. As I went to high school in Kissimmee I grew up around many african americans, hispanics, and back-woods red-neck white kids who hate the other two races for no other reason but that is just how they were raised. I think the flag is just distasteful and is a reflection of the past that should probably come down if this state and country is ever going to move forward. Future orientation is key, not holding onto the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original use of the Confederate Flag was not about white power, it was the represent the southern states that succeeded the union for many issues, not just slavery. But I also think the flag has become too closely associated with racial hate groups since the end of the Civil War and the Confederate States. Like a swastika, it didn't originally indicate the horror that it became used for popularly. However I feel the popular association is far too strong to view the flag as just a historic monument for the museum. I agree with Sarah, the flag should come down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to disagree with the previous posters, and say that it should stay up. There is nothing 'illegal' about the flag since I think it's on private property, so it doesn't infringe on property rights and all.

    Obviously this flag very controversial feelings attached to it - both ways - but it is still covered by the 1st Amendment. If we start taking down everything that offends some people, there'd soon be nothing left.

    - Elizabeth Sweat

    ReplyDelete