Archive of previous posts

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

World Changing-Space Elevator

There was a small section in World Changing about a space elevator. This would be built in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and would travel up to space to transport supplies, satellites, and people. It would take around $50 billion for a country to build it, but would reduce costs of going into space from $22,000 to $400, each time. It seems wild to think that in the near future, the cost of going into space would cost less than traveling to Europe. Do you think an easier access to space it a helpful thing? or can it bring harm?

2 comments:

  1. this really is wild. butt i would really like to see this! I dont think if it was built just anyone would be able to just go up. Thats really high!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This scares me. I am deathly afraid of heights, and it is hard for me to go into elevators or on escalators in tall buildings. I also think that having a structure that obscure and tall would ruin the landscape of our Earth. I do not like this idea at all. The structure itself couldn't just go straight up either, it would have to have a very large base structure. With all of the tall structures and skyscrapers today we have already ruined much of our natural landscape. Though, as the population grows, I am sure this will continue.

    ReplyDelete