Archive of previous posts

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Americans Are Fat... But Is This Really Necessary?

College's too-fat-to-graduate rule under fire


By Elizabeth Landau, CNN
November 30, 2009 10:28 a.m. EST

(CNN) -- Most college students expect to receive their diplomas on the basis of grades, but at a Pennsylvania school, physical fitness matters too.

Students at Lincoln University with a body mass index of 30 or above, reflective of obesity, must take a fitness course that meets three hours per week. Those who are assigned to the class but do not complete it cannot graduate.

Now that the first class to have this requirement imposed is nearing graduation day -- students who entered in the fall of 2006 -- the school faces criticism from both students and outsiders about the fitness class policy.

One of those students is Tiana Lawson, 21, whose recent editorial in the student paper has drawn national attention to the issue. Lawson wrote in The Lincolnian that she would be more understanding if the requirement applied to everyone. She thinks all students, not just those with a high BMI, should have to take the class.

"I didn't come to Lincoln to be told that my weight is not in an acceptable range," Lawson wrote. "I came here to get an education which, as a three-time honor student, is something I have been doing quite well, despite the fact that I have a slightly high Body Mass Index."

Lawson, who told CNN she had been putting off getting her BMI tested until this year, recently found out she would have to take the class. At first angry, Lawson said she is now more "confused" about the requirement.

Read Entire Article Here:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/11/30/lincoln.fitness.overweight/index.html

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the student in that the class should be for everyone not just those that are over weight. If the person really wants to loose the weight they will work hard in the class, but if they do not care and do not want to be in the class they will not really try their best and even if they loose the weight just to graduate maybe after graduation they will gain it back or even gain more after. I think it could also be some type of elective. I kind of wish they had it here. I would feel even more obligated to go to the gym and it would count as a class credit. I also wouldn't have to separate time after classes and homework to go to the gym because I will have gone in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with katrishia. I wish we had a class like this at ringling that could count toward credit, but it should be an elective not a requirement to graduate. Even if they have a person's best interest in mind for healthy living, it's still there choice. I would appreciate having this class just because you couldn't have an excuse not to go. Most people would love to go, but often times they choose to do homework or sleep. I know that's what happens to me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete