Archive of previous posts

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Young Women Are Addicted to Facebook

From Slate (6-7-10): Even before they go to the bathroom or brush their teeth, one of the first things one-third of women age 18-34 do in the morning when they wake up is check their Facebook account. The results of a two-month study of more than 1,600 adults released by Oxygen Media and Lightspeed Research on Wednesday show that "young women are becoming more and more dependent on social media and checking on their social networks," Mashable reported. The study's results go further than previous studies on the subject, finding that 57 percent of young women talk to people online more than face-to-face and 39 percent go so far as to declare themselves addicted to Facebook. More than 20 percent even check Facebook in the middle of the night. Other statistics that emerged from the study seemed a bit contradictory: 89 percent of young women advise against loading anything onto Facebook that you wouldn't want your parents to see, yet 42 percent have no problems with posting photographs of themselves drunkMashable sumarized the results: "Our habits are changing due to social media technology, particularly Facebook. It's not just a connection tool for many women, but a research tool, a dating network, and a way to keep tabs on both boyfriends and enemies."
Read original story in Mashable | Wednesday, July 7, 2010

1 comment:

  1. I know a lot of people that are like this and not only women. Men also are addicted to facebook. I know people that are constantly checking it on their phones and whenever they are on the computer they have it open. They change their status for every little thing they do. I am surprised I haven't seen them changing their status to in the bathroom or something like that. I have to admit though that I was once a little addicted to it too, but not to that point. Once I got my Iphone I was on it a lot, but now I find it a little more boring and I mostly go in there to talk to my friends from back home. Facebook can be good to connect with people and talk to people you don't see much, but I think it can also harm people because of the content they see in it. For example what it says about boyfriends and enemies. I think it has ruined many relationships and it has also ruined talking in person. I personally prefer talking in person or at least on the phone than to be texting or writing on facebook, but if I can't find the person then I go there.

    ReplyDelete