Archive of previous posts

Friday, October 15, 2010

Teens text every 10 minutes

It turns out that teens are texting pretty much all the time. Precisely, they are on average sending and receiving text messages every 10 minutes of every waking hour of every day of the year, according to a new studyreleased by Nielsen.
According to the report on cellphone use in the second quarter of the year, Nielsen found that teenage girls are thumbing their way to new texting records ahead of boys. In total, cellphone users ages 13 to 17 sent and received an average of 3,339 texts a month, up 8 percent from the second quarter of 2009. Girls averaged 4,050 texts, and boys sent 2,539.
Text messaging – because of ease of use and fast transmission – is what 43 percent of teenagers say is their primary use for a cellphone. That’s why, according to Nielsen, the first they thing look for in a phone is a QWERTY raised keyboard, as opposed to touch screens. Two years ago they said the primary reason for having a cellphone was for safety factors.
And teens are using more Internet applications. Because of more picture messaging, gaming and e-mail, the average data consumed by teens rose to 62 megabytes in the second quarter compared with 14 megabytes in the second quarter of 2009.
By Cecilia Kang  | October 14, 2010; 5:15 PM ET |Washington Post

1 comment:

  1. I am not a big text person. I prefer calling, but I do admit I text a lot. Not as much as before but I still do. It is fast and easy. Especially when you don't really want to talk to the person. If it is long I prefer calling but if it's just a question or something simple I text. My grandmother learned to text a couple of years ago and every time we check the account she is the one that goes over the limit of texts we have. My aunt is the same. They both always have more texts than me and my mom together. I don't think this is something only teenagers do. Those older people that know how to use it also count on this. It is sad sometimes to see how much we depend on this instead of tlking on the phone and even in person instead.

    ReplyDelete